According to a study, hospital beds and bedding contribute to high levels of patient discomfort and infections. Therefore, hospital beds must have the proper mattresses and toppers to keep patients comfortable and free from any further illnesses.
A hospital bed mattress is different from a regular mattress and is designed especially for this purpose. A mattress for a medical bed is waterproof, easily bendable, adjustable, and easy to clean. It is designed to provide comfort and support for various positions and relieve pressure.
There are many types and brands of hospital bed mattresses available, each with its own features, benefits, and drawbacks. We’ve compiled a list of the 5 best mattresses for medical beds catering to specific medical requirements. We’ll also delve into the important factors you need to consider before choosing a mattress for your medical needs.
- The Best Mattresses for Medical Beds: Quick Overview of Our Top Picks
- The Top 5 Mattresses for Medical Beds
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Medical Bed?
- Benefits of Medical Mattresses
- Wrapping Up
- Need Legal Help After an Injury? Contact The Personal Injury Center
The Best Mattresses for Medical Beds: Quick Overview of Our Top Picks
Here’s a quick overview of our top picks, selected after thorough research and user reviews.
The Top 5 Mattresses for Medical Beds
Below, we’ll explore the top 5 mattresses designed specifically for hospital beds. These mattresses offer unique features and benefits that cater to the comfort, recovery, and overall well-being of patients.
1. Drive Medical FoamQuick’n Easy Comfort Mattress
- Foam Mattress: Active mattress replacement system provides comfort and support with its decompressing properties.General Note: Please allow 24 - 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding
- Convenient Design: The system has a non-slip bottom and 4 corner straps to keep this home bedding secure; two side carry handles make lifting and placement easy
- Durable Material: Removable Nylon stretch cover is fluid resistant, low shear and vapor permeable, helping protect the skin from friction and moisture
|Durable and fluid-resistant foam material
Easy to carry and place because of the two side carry handles
Secure design with a non-slip bottom and corner straps
Can support up to 275 pounds of weight
|The mattress may shrink or expand depending on the temperatures
Fluid resistance isn’t too strong
Some find it a little too firm
The Drive Medical FoamQuick’n Easy Comfort Mattress is a latex-free foam mattress that provides comfort and support at the best value for money. The mattress comes compressed in a box and takes around 24 – 72 hours to regain its shape. It can bend and adjust with any adjustable hospital bed frame, allowing different positions and elevations.
It has a waterproof and removable nylon cover that is easy to clean and protects the skin from moisture and friction. The cover is fluid-resistant to some extent, but for more severe cases, you may need another layer of protection underneath.
The mattress has a non-slip bottom, and four corner straps to keep it securely in place, as well as two side carry handles for easy lifting and placement. The mattress is 80 inches long, 36 inches wide, and 6 inches thick and can support up to 275 pounds of weight, accommodating a range of patients.
The mattress comes with a one-year warranty. Some customers have complained about the mattress being too firm, but it breaks in once it is regularly used.
Priced at $165, the Drive Medical Foam Mattress provides the best value for money on our list. Customers who were initially skeptical about the price being high have acknowledged it being worth it after continued use.
2. Invacare SPS1080 Solace Prevention Hospital Bed Mattress
- Durable Design: Crafted with a fluid-resistant nylon top cover and a tri-laminate vinyl bottom, this hospital style mattress for home use provides easy cleaning and long-lasting durability. Say goodbye to worries about spills and stains.
- Pressure Relief: Deisgned with three distinct zones, our mattress caters to the head, body, and heel sections, offering targeted pressure relief. Experience enhanced comfort and support, even during extended periods of use.
- Innovative Construction: Our mattress boasts a convoluted "fortress" cut design, providing an increased surface area for superior resident support and relief. Its dual-layered, high-quality foam is specifically designed to prevent pressure ulcers, prioritizing your loved one's well-being.
|Easy to clean
Best for home care and use
Durable design with an increased surface area for more support and comfort
Uniform weight distribution and dual-layered foam help prevent pressure ulcers
|It can be too stiff for some people
Material is slippery
If you’re looking for a hospital bed mattress for home use with easy adjustability, affordability, and comfort, the Invacare SPS1080 hospital bed mattress should be your go-to! Its standout feature is its ease of cleaning and fluid-resistant nylon cover, which saves the mattress from even the toughest spills and stains, making home care very easy.
Thanks to its adjustability, you can change covers and sheets easily, even with the patient in bed. The mattress measures 80 x 36 x 6, which fits twin hospital beds and accommodates patients weighing up to 350 lbs.
The best part about the mattress is its innovative and durable design aimed at relieving pressure near the head, body, and heel sections. The product is meant for extended home use, and the dual-layer high-density foam and increased surface area prevent pressure ulcers.
People have voted this product as the best replacement for hospital bed mattresses and attest to its durability and comfort.
You can get all the benefits of the Invacare SPS1080 mattress for a medical bed at a reasonable price of $272.99. While this isn’t necessarily cheap, it’s still the best value for money, and the price is still comparatively lower than that of most hospital bed mattresses.
3. SereneLife Pressure Mattress Air Bubble Pad
- MEDICAL GRADE: This medical grade air bed mattress by SereneLife features an alternating pressure at a sufficient rhythm to avoid prolonged vascular compression which is likely to cause tissue hypoxia and it adapts to the position of the patient
- BREATHABLE AIR CHANNELS: This inflatable bubble pad also features breathable air channels for maximum back comfort. It has micro air circulation holes to prevent / relief bed sores, diffuse sweat and back pressure
- EASY SETUP: Comes with 110 / 220V electric air pump inflator that quickly inflate or deflate airbed to desired firmness. The mattress has a[ pressure range of 70 130mmHg and it has a standard hospital bed size 78.74" x 35.43" x 2.76" when inflated
|Provides incomparable pressure relief and comfort
Suitable for post-surgery and chronic conditions
Breathable air channels help prevent bed sores
Durable and long-lasting
Comes with a puncture repair kit
|The pump can be noisy over time
The SereneLife pressure mattress air bubble pad improves patient comfort and care in various settings by relieving pain and preventing pressure ulcers. The mattress can support up to 330 pounds. It is lightweight and portable. It also comes with a puncture repair kit, so you can be sure it will last for a long time.
\The mattress’s alternating pressure system helps to prevent pressure sores by inflating and deflating the mattress in different areas with the help of an electric pump. This helps to improve circulation and reduce the risk of tissue hypoxia. The system is also adjustable, so you can find the most comfortable setting.
The SereneLife mattress also has breathable air channels and micro air circulation holes. These features help to keep the mattress cool and dry, which is important for preventing bed sores. The mattress is also made from medical-grade PVC, which is durable and easy to clean.
The SereneLife pressure mattress air bubble pad is generally well-received by users. Many people say it is comfortable and helps prevent pressure sores. However, some users have reported that the pump can also be noisy over time.
Priced at $56, the SereneLife Pressure Mattress is the cheapest on our list and provides great value for all the features it has. Its cost-effectiveness is highlighted by users who appreciate its medical benefits and overall quality at this accessible price point.
4. Drive Medical 15770 Gravity 7 Pressure Redistribution Mattress
- Hospital Mattress: High-quality therapeutic foam mattress provides pressure redistribution and shear/friction reduction; Visco foam heel section offloads pressure from vulnerable heels
- Comfortable: This hospital bed mattress maximizes value and comfort with 3 full layers of latex-free foam
- Safe and Secure: Medical mattress features high-density foam perimeters that provide solid edge support and facilitate safe patient transfers; available with or without raised side rails
|Suitable for individuals with back and neck pain
The vinyl cover is designed to protect against liquids and bed bugs
Suitable for various bed types
|Vinyl cover wrinkles easily
Additional memory foam topper might be necessary
Requires a few days of airing out before use
The Drive Medical 15770 is an excellent choice for budget-friendly shoppers looking for a supportive and comfortable mattress. It comes with three full layers of latex-free foam which provides excellent pressure relief and contouring, adapting to your body’s shape for a comfortable sleep.
It also has high-density foam on the sides, which makes it easier and safer to get on and off the bed, especially for individuals with limited mobility. An ultra-soft heel section also provides extra cushioning and protection for your heels, preventing pressure sores.
With a hefty weight capacity, this mattress can comfortably accommodate individuals up to 300 pounds. The cover is also easy to wipe clean and helps to maintain a hygienic sleeping environment, along with water-resistant and fire-retardant properties.
Users find it an excellent option for those with back issues or who spend extended periods in bed, noting significant improvements in comfort and sleep quality. Some users added a memory foam topper for extra comfort.
At just $216, the Drive 15770 Gravity 7 delivers exceptional value with three layers of supportive latex-free foam, perfect for budget shoppers.
5. Invacare Softform Premier Fluid-Resistant Homecare Bed Mattress
- BEST SELLING MATTRESS: Features 2 independent layers a unique single-piece U-core and contoured foam insert which provides excellent patient comfort and optimizes pressure redistribution for patients up to Very High Risk
- PRESSURE INJURY PREVENTION: Individual foam cells allow superior patient immersion and pressure redistribution, helping reduce the risk of pressure injuries, all while supporting a 500 lb. weight capacity
- PREMIUM GRADE MATTRESS: The Softform Premier mattress 3-zone construction gives appropriate support of the head, mid-section, and foot sections of the mattress and is made of high density foam on both layers, providing superior support on the sides and base
|Excellent pressure reduction
Built to comfortably support heavier individuals
Foam layers offer longevity and resilience
|Firmness might not be ideal
Mattress odor can be difficult to get rid of
The Invacare Softform is a fluid-resistant mattress with a unique contoured foam insert. This innovative mattress features a special foam layer that provides individualized comfort and pressure relief.
The foam is made up of individual cells that conform to your body’s shape, reducing pressure points and promoting deeper sleep. Enhanced edge support makes it easy to get in and out of bed, thanks to a single-piece foam “U” core.
For added peace of mind, the mattress comes with the company’s trademark removable and washable Softform mattress cover. This cover is also resistant to spills and accidents, making it a great choice for families with children or pets.
Users appreciated the mattress for replacing uncomfortable hospital mattresses, aiding in recovery, and having firm edges for easier mobility.
Priced at $339, the Invacare Softform is the priciest mattress on this list by a fair margin. But it more than makes up for it with its contoured foam and edge support, providing unparalleled comfort.
How to Choose the Best Mattress for Medical Bed?
Before choosing a mattress for a medical bed, there are several factors that you need to consider:
Type of Bed
Different types of medical beds may require different types of mattresses. For example, some beds can adjust the head, leg, and height settings, while others are fixed or semi-electric. The mattress should be compatible with the bed frame and its size and features.
Medical Condition and Needs of the User
The mattress should suit the user’s health and comfort needs. For example, some users may need a mattress that can prevent or heal pressure ulcers, while others may need a mattress that can provide pain relief or temperature regulation.
Comfort and Support Level
The mattress should provide adequate cushioning and support for the user’s body weight, shape, and sleeping position. Look for mattresses that have the right firmness and thickness for the patient’s preference and comfort. Also, research on the different types of mattress foam and their benefits and choose the right foam for the patient’s needs.
Durability and Quality
A hospital bed mattress should be made of high-quality materials that can last long and withstand frequent use and cleaning. Several mattresses come with dual-layer and static foams and repair kits to prolong their use.
Value for Money
Another thing to consider is your budget and the value the mattress provides. A more expensive mattress doesn’t necessarily mean better quality. Compare different mattresses and the benefits they offer against their prices, and then choose a mattress that provides the best value for money.
Warranty and Customer Service
Most mattresses come with a reasonable one or two years warranty from the manufacturer or seller. You may want to opt for a mattress that comes with a good warranty and customer service instead of one that doesn’t.
Best Medical Beds
|Price on Amazon ($)
|Drive Medical FoamQuick’n Easy Comfort Mattress
|Budget Mattress for Medical Bed
|Invacare SPS1080 Solace Prevention Hospital Bed Mattress
|Durable Medical Mattress for Home Use
|SereneLife Pressure Mattress Air Bubble Pad
|Pressure Relieving Mattress for Medical Bed
|Drive Medical 15770 Gravity 7 Pressure Redistribution Mattress
|Contouring Mattress for Comfortable Sleep
|Invacare Softform Premier Fluid-Resistant Homecare Bed Mattress
|Fluid-Resistant Mattress for Medical Bed
Benefits of Medical Mattresses
Medical mattresses offer a lot of benefits over regular mattresses. From increased comfort to faster recovery times, here are some advantages of using a medical mattress for your bed:
Medical mattresses prioritize optimal pressure redistribution, a critical factor for bedridden or immobile individuals. By reducing pressure on key areas like hips, shoulders, and heels, these mattresses significantly decrease the risk of pressure ulcers and bedsores.
A Step Up in Comfort
When it comes to spending time in bed, comfort is key. This is especially true for those who are recovering from an illness or injury, where a good night’s sleep can be essential for healing. That’s why hospital bed mattresses are designed to be much more comfortable than your standard mattress at home.
Relieves Pain in The Body
Regular mattresses can contribute to back and spine pain due to inadequate support. For those experiencing pain from conditions like surgery, joint issues, arthritis, muscle problems, or spinal injuries, a medical mattress can offer relief. These mattresses provide better support and prevent the body from sinking, potentially reducing pain and improving sleep.
Helps with Sleeping Disorders
Medical mattresses can ease sleep issues by providing pressure relief and support, particularly for back pain. This improved comfort can benefit people with conditions like arthritis, snoring, and even asthma. While not a cure-all, a medical mattress can be a helpful tool for promoting better sleep and overall well-being.
Our top five picks offer a range of options tailored to meet specific medical needs, ensuring durability, comfort, and support. Remember, the perfect mattress can significantly enhance the quality of rest and recuperation, making it an essential investment in healthcare and well-being.
Need Legal Help After an Injury? Contact The Personal Injury Center
If you’re dealing with the repercussions of an injury and require assistance with legal complexities, consider reaching out to The Personal Injury Center. Our team can connect you with a skilled attorney who specializes in personal injury cases and can offer the necessary guidance and support.
Disclaimer: Last update on 2024-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.
This content is provided solely for educational reasons and should not be seen as medical guidance. It’s important to consult with a healthcare expert prior to making any changes to your health regimen, including dietary adjustments or the use of supplements.
Pages on this website may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we receive a commission from qualifying purchases. This commission is at no extra cost to you.